Monday, September 19, 2005

A black man and his money.

A few years ago my cousin and myself were in a blockbuster store in the Atlanta area checking out movies to rent when we were continuously trailed by a field hand dressed in blue and yellow with khaki pants. My cousin was dreadlocks. I was very upset with the treatment and asked to see the head overseer who claimed we were seeing things. My cousin declared that indeed Atlanta was not the advertised promise land for black people but instead a slave colony.

Well I am no longer in Atlanta, and like in yonder years some other parts of the country seems to be on the lookout for run away slaves. At least it seems that way to me. Want to see how people look at you when you take the train as if you are about to mug them? You want to try getting a job? I mean who wants to hire a runaway slave? The thing that really gets me though is when I try to retrieve my money from the banking system, after all how can a slave have property?

Yesterday I went to lodge a paycheck and get back a paltry $20.00 as pocket change. The hired hand that was a brother wanted my social security number (branding). After fiddling around and playing James Bond in his own mind he wanted to see ID (free papers). I got vexed in the place yard style and asked him.” A wha yuh need ID fah”? I have done this transaction countless times and no one has asked me this in this bank. He was very nervous and could not compose himself to complete the transaction. A task, which normally took 30 seconds, took 15 minutes. A young lady had to help him.

Today different place, same drama. I went to the post office in Canal Street. There is a clerk who I like to go to because she is cool and helpful, however this morning I ended up before a, well just let me say another clerk. I wanted to purchase a money order. Instead of swiping my card she kinda flipped it and did some sleight of hand and then told me my card was not working. I was like, “What do you mean my card isn’t working”?

“Can you try again”? She claimed the machine would not allow trying twice. Well I told her she was a bold face liar. Anyway she let me go to my favorite clerk and in less than a minute I had concluded my business. Here was another hired hand trying to play detective.

I take comfort in all of this though. The bible says a fool and his money will soon parted. Seeing I can’t get rid of mine when it comes to these people, maybe I am wise after all.

Till we meet again
Redman

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cool article bro.

November 22, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home